Barcelona attack

Barcelona attack: Dead and injured as van crashes into crowd

The Irish Times Thu, Aug 17
 
LIVE: Barcelona attack

Sort by:

  • Latest first
  • Oldest first
  • This event has now ended
  • 17:54
    Here's what we know so far from the attack in Barcelona city centre this afternoon:

    - Three people have been killed after a van crashed into pedestrians near the Las Ramblas avenue.

    - Local police say they still do not know the motivation for the attack, but are treating it as terrorism and they are searching for the driver, with El Paisnewspaper reporting the driver had fled on foot.
    - Spain’s El Periodico newspaper said there are between 20 to 25 injured, citing police sources.
  • 17:54
    Minister for Foreign Affairs Simon Coveney said: “I am appalled by the incident in Barcelona this afternoon. On behalf of the Irish government, I wish to convey our condolences and solidarity with the people of Spain at this time.”

    In statement the Department of Foreign Affairs said it is monitoring developments closely. It said Irish citizens should follow the advise of local authorities. Anyone with concerns for the safety of loved ones in Barcelona can contact the Consular assistance team on 01-4082000 or the Irish Embassy in Madrid on +34 914364093.
  • 17:55
    Local radio station Cadena Ser is reporting that at least 13 people have died, citing police. However this has not been confirmed
  • 17:56
    Police have said they are searching for the driver of the van who fled on foot
  • 17:59
    Eyewitness reports have started to emerge. Lawyer and University of Glasgow rector Aamer Anwar was walking in Las Ramblas when he heard screaming. He said a shopkeeper told him five or six people were badly injured and described the scene as “chaos”. Mr Anwar old the Press Association: “I had been to the Cathedral and was walking down Las Ramblas for something to eat.
    “Part of it was in the shade so I decided to keep walking down and literally within 10 seconds there was a crashing noise.
    “I turned around and people were screaming. I could see a woman screaming with her kids. People started running and jumping into shops.
    “I ran for about 50 or 100 metres and stopped to see what was happening.
  • 18:02
    A video circulating on social media showed at least 19 people lying injured on the pavement down the centre of Las Ramblas. Many victims can be seen bleeding, some heavily, while being tended to by passersby. Souvenirs are strewn across the path, having apparently been knocked over in the chaos. Armed police are visible in the background.- PA reports
  • 18:08
    Catalan police have confirmed a terror attack. The below tweet reads: A terrorist attack is confirmed. The terrorist attack protocol has been activated
  • 18:19
    Catalan police have just held a press conference and have confirmed that one person is dead and 32 injured - ten seriously
  • 18:30

    Spanish newspaper El Periodico has said two armed men were holed up in a bar in Barcelona's city centre, and reported gunfire in the area, although it did not cite the source of the information. It was not immediately clear whether the incidents were connected.

  • 18:34
    <table border='0'>
<tbody>
<tr>
<td class='borderb' width='50%' align='left'>Police officers tell members of the public to leave the scene in a street in Barcelona's historic Las Ramblas district. Photograph: AP Photo/Manu Fernandez</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>
    Police officers tell members of the public to leave the scene in a street in Barcelona's historic Las Ramblas district. Photograph: AP Photo/Manu Fernandez
  • 18:36

    Some more eyewitnesses:
    Tom Gueller, who lives on a road adjoining the site of the attack, was forced to flee when the vehicle began hitting pedestrians.
    He told BBC’s PM: “I heard screams and a bit of a crash and then I just saw the crowd parting and this van going full pelt down the middle of the Ramblas, and I immediately knew that it was a terrorist attack or something like that.
    “I ran away, I mean I live near, I had to run back about 50 metres or so and go up to my flat and obviously see what’s happening on the road from my balcony.”
    Asked about the van, he said: “It wasn’t slowing down at all. It was just going straight through the middle of the crowds in the middle of the Ramblas.”

  • 18:37

    Will Ako, 26, from London, was eating in a restaurant called Taller De Tapas with his family when they heard a disturbance. He told the Press Association: “We had just finished eating and were about to leave when we heard a commotion and the patrons in the restaurant rushing from their seats.


    “I then saw people running to the east of the restaurant and I saw a couple of people, about 30 yards down the road, crouching around what looked like someone on the ground and they were calling for assistance.


    “Within a couple of minutes, police started to arrive and they were running west of the restaurant and some were telling us to stay inside.


    “Soon after, loads of cars, bikes and ambulances arrived and then the armed police.” He said he was in the restaurant with around 40 people, adding: “We’re not sure what’s happening.”

  • 18:43
    According to Press Association, sources have confirmed that the death toll was expected to reach 13. Catalonia’s interior minister Joaquim Forn told reporters: “Unfortunately the number of fatalities will likely rise.”

  • 18:45
    Police  have found a second van connected to the Barcelona attack in the Catalan town of Vic, according to local authorities.
  • 18:48

    US secretary of state Rex Tillerson says the incident has all the hallmarks of a "terrorist attack"  

  • 18:54
    Spanish broadcaster RTVE is reporting that one suspect has been arrested:  
  • 19:05
  • 19:10

    British prime minister  Theresa May said her thoughts are with the victims of the “terrible attack” in  Barcelona, adding: “The UK stands with Spain against terror.”

  • 19:15
    Responding to reports, Catalan police say there is nobody held up in a bar in Barcelona
  • 19:16
    Catalan police say they have arrested one man in connection with the van attack, according to Reuters  
  • 19:25

    A Catalan government official says on twitter that 13 people are dead and at least 50 are injured

  • 19:38
    Unconfirmed report that one of the Barcelona van attackers has died in a shootout with police according to LaVanguardia newspaper
  • 19:53
    Spanish National Police have released a photo showing   Maghrebi Driss Oukabir, alleged to have rented the van which was used to crashed into pedestrians in Las Ramblas. Photograph:   EPA/Spanish National Police/ HANDOUT
    Spanish National Police have released a photo showing  Maghrebi Driss Oukabir, alleged to have rented the van which was used to crashed into pedestrians in Las Ramblas. Photograph:  EPA/Spanish National Police/ HANDOUT
  • 20:03

    Spanish prime miniser Rajoy says he is en route to Barcelona and will coordinate efforts to reinforce security